Rhys Healey took his goals tally during pre-season to four goals with a beautifully taken double strike against St Austell in Cornwall.

The former Welsh Premier League striker, who netted two goals against Taffs Well last Friday, swept home his first goal in Cornwall just before half-time after Lee Tomlin and Anthony Pilkington set up the chance and then lobbed the keeper to put Cardiff ahead four minutes into the second half.

The young Bluebirds won 4-2 against South West Peninsular League club St Austell, who were two goals in front with less than a minute to go before half-time.

But they struck twice in less than 60 seconds, Healey and an own goal putting them level, and then went on to win.

Senior players Lee Tomlin and Anthony Pilkington were both in the starting line-up, while Brian Murphy made his first appearance of pre-season and came through 90 minutes.

Ryan Pryce, Jack Bodenham, Waite, Scott McLean and trialist Dan Martin, a Kent-born full-back from Maidstone, were the outfield players to complete the full match.

Teenager Martin linked up with Cardiff on the day of this game and the 18-year-old impressed on his debut. He is likely to be involved again when the under-23s play Porthleven on Thursday evening.

City’s young players showed spirit and character after St Austell started in impressive style.

Captain James Waite was outstanding for Cardiff, while there were flashes of genuine quality from Tomlin and Pilkington worked hard in attack.

Eddy scored St Austell’s opening goal after two minutes after good work by tenacious full-back Jack Calver, who had a spell on trial with Cardiff last season.

Calver won the ball near the halfway line, ran forward and slipped a pass through for Eddy, who scored 25 goals for St Austell last season despite being injured for a long spell.

Eddy gained half a yard on centre-half Brown and fired a low shot just inside the far post.

Eddy’s influence was crucial again when he fooled a Cardiff defender as he ran into the penalty area and was fouled. Referee Steve Annis awarded the penalty, Mark Goldsworthy fired home from the spot and the home and the home team led 2-0.

At that stage Cardiff looked in trouble. St Austell were looking sharp and dangerous, while the Bluebirds struggled to find any consistent fluency.

Then came move of sublime quality when Tomlin played a pass forward for Pilkington, who chested down for Healey to smash his shot into the net.

Less than a minute later it was 2-2 when a cross was whipped in and home defender Will Tinsley could only turn it into his own net.

The half-time whistle blew a few seconds later and Cardiff went in level after trailing for most of the first half.

Their third goal came after 49 minutes when Healey found space on the left of the penalty area and left goalkeeper Jason Chapman helpless with a delightful lob.

Cardiff completed their scoring when they produced a spell of quicker passing which released substitute Jamie Veale, who finished with a low shot past the goalkeeper.

Pilkington and Tomlin were replaced immediately after half-time, while Healey went off just before the hour.

St Austell FC: Jason Chapman, Will Tinsley, Jack Calver, M Watts, Tom Chambers (capt), Martin Giles, Jordan Dingle, Liam Eddy, Mark Goldsworthy, Neil Slateford. Subs: Matt Lloyd, George Tucker, Jason Rogers, Callum Bertrand.

Cardiff City: Brian Murphy, Ryan Pryce, Dan Martin, Jacob Evans (Breyden Shaw 57), Ciaron Brown (Laurence Wootton 63), Jack Bodenham, James Waite (capt), Rhys Healey (Paul McKay 57), Anthony Pilkington (Jamie Veale 46), Lee Tomlin (Cameron Coxe 46), Scott McLean. Subs not used: Matthew Hall (gk).

Referee: Steve Annis.

Attendance: 221.